Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Patiently Waiting...

The topic of this blog is a blatant lie. I'm actually terribly impatient. I'll explain why in a bit.

First of all, let me say that today was an odd one for me. For the first Tuesday in over a month and a half, I had no new installment of Grace & Witherbloom coming out. I didn't need to check that the book had "live" on Amazon, or make sure all the graphics and web pages were updated and sent to the server to go live as soon as the book was officially available. I didn't need to make the entry on Goodreads for the book or post about it on the various forums I frequent.

No, I just got up, went to work and then came home. On one hand it was sort of a relief not to have to do all that extra bit of work. It wasn't much, but it was a time commitment. On the other hand, it was sort of sad. I liked putting out a new novella every week. Thankfully the last week I've had Mass Effect 3 to occupy my time. I thought it was as brilliant as the others. I'm even one of those rare folk who actually liked the ending.

But I digress. The reason I am getting impatient, I must confess, is that I REALLY want to know what people thought of the ending to the series of adventures for Grace & Witherbloom! Were readers surprised? Were they satisfied? Actually, Mass Effect 3 has got me thinking a lot about endings. If you haven't heard, there has been a huge amount of controversy raised about the ending of the game. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say a lot of passionate fans are very angry. Some of it I can understand, though I don't necessarily agree. Some of it seems a bit overblown. But whatever you think of the reaction, it really goes to show you how a bad ending to a story can really make or break a piece of literature, a movie or a vide game.

I hope my ending in The Forgotten Fair fairs (pun definitely intended) better than Mass Effect 3.

1 comment:

  1. I had a feeling that the world was going to detonate or something when The Forgotten Fair was released. Not literally, of course (lest I start engaging in Melancholia behavior!), but I felt like there would be some definite, tangible shift in our worlds.

    . . . I guess people need to make time to read it all? Heh. It seems unthinkable to me to have it and not read it, but I *was* waiting for YEARS. ^_^

    ReplyDelete